About Ekaterinburg

Sevastyanov’s House

A mansion built in in the first quarter of the XIX century on the banks of the Iset River. An urban legend says that Special Duties Officer Nikolay Sevastyanov built an enviable luxurious palace but he himself lived in a small house opposite, and every evening he would feast his eyes upon his creation, sitting on a bench near the house. Then he went bankrupt and had to sell the building  to the Ministry of Justice. The rotunda of the building is a unique pattern of the “gothic” style in the Ural Region. In the first half of the XXI century the unusual building was used as a theater, where symphonic orchestras performed. From 1874 to 1917 the District Court of Ekaterinburg was deployed in the house. In 2008 it was decided to reconstruct the building into the Residence of the Russian President during the SCO summit. In the course of the works that were finished by the spring of 2009 major repairs were made, building sides were renovated and a new wing was built on to become a ceremonial hall. Historically authentical colors of the building sides were restored, i.e. white, green and terra-cotta.

 

Ekaterinburg State Academic Opera and Ballet Theatre

The Ekaterinburg Opera and Ballet Theatre is one of the oldest opera theatres in Russia. It has been working since 1912. Ivan Kozlovsky, Sergei Lemeshev, Irina Arkhipova, who later made the glory of the Bolshoi Theater, started in Ekaterinburg. Rich traditions of private touring companies and musical societies helped the theatre to gain confidence and its glorious name. In Soviet times it was called the “laboratory of the Soviet Opera”, and often playbills contained the sign “The right for the first staging belongs to the theater”. The theater was awarded the USSR State Prize twice.

The Orchestra of the theater is a professional ensemble which consists of honored artists of Russia, laureates of Russian and International competitions. The theater has developed cultural ties and artistic contacts with Italy, Germany, USA, England, Korea etc. Famous guest stars often perform on its stage as well as international music festivals take place.

The Art Nouveau-style building of the theater is now one of the architectural landmarks of Ekaterinburg. The crowning glory of the building is the sculpture of three muses. The walls are painted grey blue – according to the archive data, that was the initial color of the theater building. 

 

City Pond Dam on the Iset River

The City Pond Dam was erected in 1723 and survived many later reconstructions. It gave energy to activate mechanisms of the Ekaterinburg plant and was the start for the construction of the city. The Dam was built mostly of larch trunks and granite. As the result of the construction of the Dam on the Iset River a pond was created which is now called the City Pond of Ekaterinburg. A few remaining buildings of the ex-plant now house the Museum of the History of Architecture and Industrial Technology of the Urals . In the modern age the Dam was fortified by armored concrete floors. During the cutting-through of the pedestrian underpass under the Dam on the occasion of 275 th anniversary of the foundation of the city celebrated in 1998, perfect condition of its construction was discovered, despite heavy traffic on it. Landscaped bank of the river near the Dam has become a traditional place for city festivals.

Kharitonov-Rastorguyev Palace

The classical buildings of this palatial residence always excited admiration of citizens and guests of Ekaterinburg. Apart from the main building, the palace and park ensemble also contained the stable, farmstead, palisades, gates and fences with iron forged grids, and a park with a lake. The construction of the mansion actually started in 1794-1795, and it was finished by 1824 only. According to researchers, such a long-time construction is accounted for by building huge cellars and the system of underground tunnels. The garden behind the main buildings was set up later. Now the park’s trees - lindens and larches – are about two hundred years old.  These are one of the oldest trees in Ekaterinburg.

The crowned heads often stayed in this palatial residence: in 1824 it was the emperor Alexander I, who was touring the country, in 1837 it was the future ruler of Russia, Alexander II. During the revolution the mansion housed a hospital for wounded Red Guards, later various communist organizations used it as their headquarters.  In the late 1930s the buildings of the Kharitonov-Rastorguev mansion were given to the Palace for children and youth's creative activities. ​

Church on Blood

The church was built from 2000 to 2003 on the site of the Ipatiev House that stood here before. This very house expropriated by the Bolsheviks was the place where the family of the last emperor of Russia Nicholas II were held prisoners for 78 days and then in the early hours of July 17 th , 1918, were shot in the cellar of the house. On September 22, 1977 the Ipatiev House was demolished. In 1990 the first wooden memorial cross was erected here. It did not take long before a small wooden chapel was built.  In 2000 construction works of the church began. The church was consecrated before a huge number of pilgrims the day before the anniversary of the tragic events, on July 16 th , 2003.

The Church on Blood is built in Russian-Byzantine style, it has 5 domes, and it is 60 meters high. The bell tower has 14 bells, the biggest of which weighs 5 tons. The church consists of upper and lower rooms.There was an attempt to reconstruct a room in the lower church where the Romanovs were executed. There is a small museum displaying the last days of the tsar family. While the lower church is small and dark, the upper one, which is the main church, is light and cheerful. A unique iconostasis made of rare white marble is installed here. It is 30 meters long and 13 meters high. There are 48 bronze icons of the most revered Russian saints placed along the outside perimeter. There is also the Romanov memorial near the church. Every year in the night of July 17 th at the anniversary of the shooting of the Romanovs family a divine service is performed to commemorate the victims.

Monument to the founders of the city of Ekaterinburg Vasily Tatishchev and Wilhelm de Gennin

Monument to the founders of Ekaterinburg, was erected in 1998 in the Historical park, near the old water tower. The erection of the monument was dedicated to the 275th anniversary of Ekaterinburg. The author of the monument is Moscow sculptor P. Chusovitin. The bronze monument was assembled from 19 parts which were cast in the workshops of the "Uralmash" plant. Vasily Tatishchev was a well-known Russian historian, geographer, economist and statesman. He was the author of the first major work on Russian history, the founder of Stavropol, Ekaterinburg and Perm. Georg Wilhelm de Gennin was a German descent. He was a Russian military engineer, Lieutenant General, a friend and associate of Peter the Great, a specialist in the field of mining and metallurgical industry.

Ekaterinburg State Circus named after V. Filatov

The Circus is located in a picturesque location in the city of Ekaterinburg - on the banks of the river Iset. Circus first opened its doors to the public on February 1, 1980. Ekaterinburg Circus building is known for its excellent acoustics and unusual design of the dome that is very high and consists of a latticed ribbed half-arches. Due to its design, the building is considered to be one of the best in Europe and can be used for the most complex performances. The Circus has the capacity of 2560 seats. It has two arenas (main and rehearsal). More than 20 million spectators have visited the circus since it was opened. Annually the circus conducts performances for different audience groups, but preference is given to the children: they are the main audience. In 2008 Ekaterinburg Circus became the organizer of the First World Festival of Clowns.

Holy Trinity Cathedral

The main temple of Ekaterinburg was built in 1818 as a three-altar church in classic style. The Northern Chapel was built in honor of St. John Chrysostom, the Southern - in honor of St. Nicholas, the Central Chapel - in honor of the Holy Trinity.

Holy Trinity Cathedral was designed in 1814 on the initiative and at the expense of Ekaterinburg merchant Yakim Ryazanov, who for many years was the head of the Ekaterinburg Old Believers. At thr beginning, the building was almost one-third shorter than it is now and had no steeple. After the Revolution, Holy Trinity Church suffered the fate of the thousands of churches in Russia: the church was left in a dilapidated state. Later the building was repaired and transformed into the House of Culture. In 1996 the Cathedral was returned to the Russian Orthodox Church. As a result of the full-scale restoration work in 1998-1999 the dome drums were re-built, and in 2000 - the Bell Tower was erected. The solemn consecration of the restored Cathedral was committed in 2000.

Statue of “The Beatles”

The memorial of the legendary band “The Beatles” in Ekaterinburg is the first and only one in Russia. The memorial is a hollow steel-framed statue of the Beatles on stage, mounted onto a brick wall. They are a little taller than average human height. Engraved one the wall next to the memorial is the lyric from one of the Beatles’ hits: «The love you take is equal to the love you make». The statue was built entirely at the expense of enthusiasts and fans of the band. The steel frames of the legendary musicians were made of cast iron in 2007 in a factory of a small town called Mikhaylovsk  in the South of Sverdlovsk region, whose director was a big fan of the Beatles. Interestingly, the frame of John Lennon was cast right on his birthday. The unveiling ceremony of the monument took place on May 23 rd , 2009. It became a big event in the cultural life of Ekaterinburg. John Lennon's band “The Quarrymen” were given the honor of opening the monument.

Border between Europe and Asia

Modern border between Europe and Asia has been proposed by V.Tatishchev, founder of many cities in the Urals. Tatischev was the first who suggested that the Ural Mountains and the Ural River is a natural and geophysical border between two parts of the world. Based on modern scientific research data, we can say that the Ural Mountains have every reason to be considered the border between two parts of the world. This is proved by the difference in flora and fauna, located on the western and eastern slopes, and the difference in the nature of the basin and the rivers flow directions. Thus, the border between Europe and Asia goes along the eastern slope of the Ural Mountains range.

More than 20 obelisks to mark the border between Europe and Asia have been installed In the Urals. One of them is located on the 17th kilometer of the Moscow highway. In August 2004 a modern symbol of Europe and Asia was erected there - the obelisk at the base of which there are two stones symbolizing the connection of two parts of the world: one was brought from the farthest part of Europe - Cape Roca, the other - from the edge of the Asian part of the continent - Cape Dezhneva. This Obelisk Europe-Asia at Novomoskovskiy Highway is a popular tourist site and wedding procession destination.

 

The Kasli Cast Iron Pavilion

The Kasli Cast Iron Pavilion is registered in the UNESCO catalogue of museums as a unique phenomenon of the industrial art and the only architectural cast iron structure in the world located in a museum collection. The pavilion was molded for the World’s Fair (Exposition Universelle) held in Paris in 1900 and it was presented as a display case of the factories of the Kyshtym mountain district, which at the turn of the XX century included the Kasli Cast Iron Plant. Best craftsmen of the plant made more than 1500 iron cast details the pavilion is composed of. The assembling process implied connecting the molded details into large blocks pin-mounted to the wooden framing of the construction. The pavilion was made in a very short time. In Paris the creation of the Kasli craftsmen won the highest award (Grand Prix) and Grand Gold Medal as the best “metal product”. After the World’s Fair the pavilion was disassembled and sent back to the Urals, nowadays it has been put on display at the Ekaterinburg Museum of Fine Arts.

Keyboard monument

One of the most unusual monuments of Ekaterinburg. It is situated on the embankment of the Iset River. The first keyboard monument in the world was created in 2005 following the idea of an artist, Anatoly Vyatkin. The unusual landmark depicts computer keyboard in scale 30:1. As there is no such monument elsewhere, this is the biggest keyboard in the world. The landmark is 86 grounded concrete keys, each weighing from 80 up to 500 kilograms. The area covered by the monument is 4x16 meters. Familiar letters and symbols are painted on the keys.

Soon after the monument was created, new city legends came to life. Rumor has it that if you “type” your wish on the keyboard and then jump on Enter, your wish will come true. If you want to “reboot” your life, press Ctrl, Alt, Del. Researchers consider the monument as a symbolic merging of European and Asian values. In fact the monument is a kind of an oriental rock garden.